The Malaysian Insider :: Sports

sumber :-

The Malaysian Insider :: Sports


Rooney accepts charge but appeals against ban

Posted: 05 Apr 2011 08:45 PM PDT

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney reacts during their English Premier League match against West Ham at Upton Park in London April 2, 2011. — Reuters pic

LONDON, April 6 — Manchester United have accepted Wayne Rooney's charge from the FA for swearing at a TV camera, but are appealing against his two-match ban, the Football Association said yesterday.

Rooney was charged with using abusive language while celebrating a goal in Saturday's 4-2 Premier League win at West Ham United.

In a statement on their website (http://www.thefa.com) the FA said that Rooney had admitted the charge for the use of offensive, insulting and/or abusive language.

"However, Rooney has submitted a claim that the automatic penalty of two games is clearly excessive. A commission will hear the submission on Wednesday," the statement said.

The commission could agree to reduce the ban, impose a fine, or increase the match suspension.

Just before the FA issued their statement, Ferguson, speaking at a news conference at Lord's Cricket Ground ahead of Wednesday's Champions League quarter-final first leg at Chelsea, had said no appeal would be launched.

At present, the England striker will miss United's home league match against Fulham on Saturday and the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City at Wembley on April 16.

He can play in both legs of the Champions League tie with Chelsea as that competition is not covered by an FA ban.

Ferguson is himself serving a five-match touchline ban imposed for comments he made about the referee following United's league defeat at Chelsea last month. — Reuters 

Full Feed Generated by Get Full RSS, sponsored by USA Best Price.

Brazil title-holding coach Ramalho takes charge of Santos

Posted: 05 Apr 2011 05:24 PM PDT

RIO DE JANEIRO, April 6 — Santos signed reigning Brazilian championship-winning coach Muricy Ramalho yesterday to take charge of the team for the rest of the season.

Ramalho, considered last year for the Brazil job left vacant after the World Cup, quit 2010 Brazilian champions Fluminense in mid-March complaining of a lack of facilities. At Santos' Vila Belmiro premises, he will enjoy a modern training complex.

"I liked the attitude of the board who showed transparency, seriousness and good planning. That's why we reached an agreement," the 55-year-old said on the club's website (http://www.santosfc.com.br).

Ramalho, who last year won his fourth Brazilian championship in five years after a hat-trick of titles with Sao Paulo, faces the enticing job of managing Brazil's biggest finds of recent times in Neymar and Paulo Henrique Ganso and meeting the fans' demands for titles before they are scooped up by European clubs.

Since Adilson Batista resigned in February, Santos have been under caretaker coach Marcelo Martelotte with poor results.

Santos are behind rivals Palmeiras, Sao Paulo and Corinthians in the Paulista (Sao Paulo) state championship, while in the South American Libertadores Cup they have taken two points from three matches in Group Five where they lie third.

Last year, Ramalho turned down the Brazilian Football Confederation's (CBF) offer to replace World Cup coach Dunga because Fluminense would not release him from his contract.

His move to Santos is the 11th coaching change of the year among the 20 first division clubs that will play in the Brazilian championship starting in May.

Adilson Batista, sacked by Santos after one defeat in 11 matches, took charge of Atletico Paranaense on Tuesday. He is their third coach this year. — Reuters

Full Feed Generated by Get Full RSS, sponsored by USA Best Price.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 ulasan:

Catat Komen